Skipped A Beat
to appease everybody out there demanding that i make an all experimental percussion mixtape i have finally succumbed to the pressure. Skipped A Beat has got everything you were looking for : modern classical greatest hits, rock drummers off the deep end, newspaper drum sticks, sirens, Moog drums, unhinged jazz workouts and weirdo sound explosions. the music is 97% percussion instruments played by solo artists or drum ensembles. you’re welcome.
image : Pia Stapilton
- Drumming Part I – Steve Reich and Musicians – Elektra Nonesuch (1987) > buy link
- Mbira – Olatunji – CBS (1966)
- Side Looking Radar Image – Bruce Ditmas – Chiaroscuro Records / Finders Keepers Records (1977/2015) > buy link
- Dripstone Shift – Drums Off Chaos – Nonplace (2018)*** > buy link
- Persephassa (Fin) – Iannis Xenakis performed by Les Percussions De Strasbourg – Philips (1971) > buy link
- Onomatopoeia – M’Boom – Columbia (1980) > buy link
- The Swift And Sordid Purification Of Jimi Jihad – Michael Zerang – Holidays Records (2019) > buy link
- Ionisation – Edgard Varèse performed by Robert Craft conducting The Columbia Symphony Orchestra – Columbia Masterworks (1972) > buy link
- The News – Andrew Cyrille – Ictus Records (1978)
- Aussi Long Que Large – Jacques Thollot – Futura Records / SouffleContinu Records (1971/2019) > buy link
- Drum Ensemble – Art Blakey, Elvins Jones (first solo) & Charlie Persip (second solo) – Roulette / Disques Vogue (1960/1969)
***track played at wrong speed, on 33rpm instead of 45rpm.