How Do You Do?
i went mining for fun in the Record Canyon and hit a wellspring of awesome Japanese indie pop from the late nineties and early naughts. i’ll put it here for you. don’t forget to smile.
image : Stephen Lebovits remixed with luv
Subscribe: iTunes | Android | RSS
- Good (Samoan Attorney Mix by Nauga) – Pizzicato Five – Triad / Matador (1996)
- Milk Rock – Takako Minekawa – Polystar / Emperor Norton (1997/1998)
- We Are Ninja (Pizzicato 5 Mix) – Frank Chickens – Ninja Tune (2000) > buy link
- Dear Mr. Salesman – Fantastic Plastic Machine – Readymade Records / Emperor Norton (1997/1998)
- Trailer Music – Pizzicato Five – Readymade Records / Matador (1997)
- Cakes and Pies – Cinnamon – Lewis Recordings (2004) > buy link
- Surfin’ On M.O.O.G. – Havanna Exotica – Bungalow (1992/1996) > buy link
- Cold Summer – Buffalo Daughter – Grand Royal (1996) > buy link
- Brazil – Cornelius – Trattoria / Polystar / Matador (2001) > buy link
- You Are My Music – Hi-Posi – Kitty Records / Bungalow (1997/1998) > buy link
- Samba De Minha Namoradinho – Calin with Fantastic Plastic Machine – Bungalow (1996) > buy link
- Mon Amour Tokyo – Pizzicato Five – Readymade Records / Matador (1997)
- Samba De Sunny Side Up – Collette – Bungalow (1998) > buy link
- Great Five Lakes – Buffalo Daughter – Grand Royal (1998) > buy link
- Ichi, Ni, San, Shi, Go – Sam & Valley – Rephlex (1997)
- The Micro Disneycal World Tour (Sean O’Hagan Remix) – Cornelius – Matador (1998) > buy link
3 thoughts on “luv295”
Really liked this one. The examples of western influence (including Havana) the Japanese have added to their indie pop music.
After I listened to the mix above like 10 times in the past two days, and smiled all the way through it, I want to send you some digital praise: I _luv_ your selections and your eclectic style makes for surprising and interesting listening sessions!
Now if you excuse me, I have to find out why I never heard of Pizzicato Five before.
PS: If you are interested in how I got here: You once did a gig on WeFunk Radio in 2012 and have been in my RSS reader ever since.
awesome and thank you. especially good to know how you discovered the site. spread the luv and go find out more about Pizicato Five, it’s worth it.